The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) is hiring for specific classifications in correctional education. These rewarding jobs will provide learning and training opportunities to inmates within each prison to help with the rehabilitation of inmates and prepare them to successfully transition back into the community.

The Office of Correctional Education (OCE) is part of CDCR’s Division of Rehabilitative Programs. The OCE offers various academic and education programs at each of California’s adult state prisons and has career opportunities that include carpenters, cosmetologists, librarians, including credentialed academic teachers.

The OCE staff makes a difference by helping inmate students learn new skills and trades. Education is an important feature to rehabilitation and public safety.

A brief description and minimum qualifications for each position is listed below:

Academic Teachers
The OCE is seeking credentialed teachers to prepare adult inmates for high school equivalency or diploma. Be a part of CDCR’s effort to improve public safety by preparing inmates for successful community reentry.
Minimum Qualifications: Applicants must possess a current California Teaching Credential issued by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC). Accepted credentials include single subject, multiple subject, standard secondary with a major or minor in an academic subject area, standard elementary or general secondary. Emergency credentials are not accepted.
CTE Instructors
The OCE is expanding programming for vocational trades and need Career Technical Education (CTE) Instructors to provide hands-on skill development and training opportunities for inmate students. The CTE programs include Auto Body and Repair, Auto Mechanics, Carpentry, Cosmetology, Electrical Works, Electronics, Machine Shop, Masonry, Office Services, Painting (industrial), Plumbing, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, Roofing, Sheet Metal Work, Small Engine Repair, and Welding. OCE Instructors utilize their master skill level knowledge to motivate, prepare and train offenders for employment and career success.
Minimum Qualifications: Five years of trade-specific journeyman work experience; 48 semester units of post-secondary vocational training related to a trade may be substituted for a maximum of two years of work experience. Applicants must possess or acquire a CTE credential issued by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing prior to employment with CDCR.
Read more about CTE teaching credentials:
Library Staff
The OCE is expanding programming and need Senior Librarians, Librarians and Library Technical Assistants to provide offenders with legal resources, recreation and educational materials. Library services offer an extensive collection of recreational fiction and non-fiction books including high-interest books, self-help and periodicals. Librarians provide legal research materials as required by the courts and rehabilitative support services that contain reference reading materials, periodicals, encyclopedias and materials to support academic, career technical and college programs.
Minimum Qualifications: Library Technical Assistant should have an associate of arts degree in library science or two years of library experience. Librarian needs a bachelor’s degree plus one year in library science master’s degree program. Senior Librarian needs a bachelor’s degree plus one year in library science master’s degree program and two years of CDCR Librarian experience (or three years of non-CDCR Librarian experience).
CDCR’s benefits package includes health, dental and vision plans, CALPERS retirement and avenues for salary advancement.
Read more about safety while working in a correctional setting:
How to apply
For placement on CDCR’s employment list for Academic Teachers, CTE Instructors or Library Staff, go to
You can view the various positions by clicking the orange tab labeled “Choose an Education Career Bulletin.” Choose an area of interest depending on your preferences. To apply for a position complete the state application (STD. 678) and the specific “Qualification Assessment” for the position. The state application can be found at
Print both documents and make sure to sign the application toward the bottom of the first page. Scan the documents and email to
For more information about CDCR, please contact the Office of External Affairs at
(916) 445-4950.