CDCR is on track to exceed the State of California’s greenhouse gas emission reduction requirements
Since 2008, CDCR has engaged in a collaborative effort through the California Investor Owned Utilities (IOU)/CDCR Energy Efficiency Partnership Program to improve energy efficiency. To date, CDCR has completed over one hundred energy efficiency projects that have yielded an annual cost savings of approximately $8.5 million. CDCR has been a leader within State government accomplishing the objectives set forth in Executive Order B-18-12 for State buildings using clean on-site power generation, such as solar photovoltaic and wind power generation. Through third-party Solar Power Purchase Agreements CDCR has completed 16 on-site renewable solar generation projects at 12 institutions totaling 34 megawatts (MW) and three wind turbine projects totaling 5.5 MW. CDCR has managed the design and construction of 60 new buildings that have achieved U.S. Green Building Council Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Certification of a Silver level or higher. In addition, CDCR occupies eight LEED-certified leased buildings. Review Chapter 3: Energy of CDCR’s Sustainability Roadmap for additional information.
- Continue to leverage the Department’s strategic partnership with California’s IOUs to assess and implement energy efficiency projects, utilize rebates, and obtain zero-percent loans through the partnership. CDCR’s goal is to exceed the State’s mandate to reduce grid-based energy purchased by 20% in 2018.
- Exceed 100 MW of renewable power by 2020. CDCR’s solar projects in progress provide an additional 80 MW of solar energy.
- Increase CDCR’s renewable power usage so that 40-50% of CDCR’s total power is provided by renewable energy.
- Ensure 50% of new construction and major renovations achieve Zero Net Energy by reducing energy demand and maximizing on-site energy generation, where feasible, without jeopardizing CDCR’s Mission.
- Meet or exceed LEED Silver certification standards for eight projects currently in design or construction.