Onboarding: Frequently Asked Questions
Who are the points of contact for Benefits / Human Resources?
Who do we contact regarding building issues (i.e., lights out, desk broken, bathroom malfunction, etc.)?
How do I learn about fire drills and emergency exit routes?
How many institutions are there? What are their names and locations?
What are names of the different divisions/units within CDCR?
What are the different state agencies?
Where can I find letterhead, memo, and other templates?
Where is the timesheet and how do I complete it?
- CDCR Forms Portal — On the CDCRnet homepage, in the left-hand navigation under the Forms Portal heading, you can choose you will see both automated and blank timesheets linked, as well as help.
Where is there a list of frequently used acronyms?
- Acronyms in the DOM — see Page V – IX
If I work at an institution, why can’t I take my cell phone to work?
What are PDDs?
- Professional Development Days (PDD) are a way to encourage employees to participate in professional and/or personal growth activities.
- PDD leave time is to be requested and approved in the same manner as vacation or annual leave. Any accrued days must be used in the same fiscal year in which they are granted, as they cannot be accumulated or cashed out.
- These activities are at the employee’s expense, and the choice of activity is at the employee’s discretion. Supervisors cannot request documentation for PDDs.
- PDD days are not applicable to Bargaining Unit 6 employees as they have not reached an agreement. PDD applies to excluded, exempted and SEIU classifications.
- PDD time is referenced on your timesheet using the timesheet code PT01.
Is there a career pathing program / mentoring program?
What trainings are available?
Where is the training request form?
What is PIA or CALPIA?
Why are union dues taken out of my pay but I never joined a union?
- From Nolo Press: Right to Work, Union Shop, Union Dues
- See Subject: Fair Share, H400 of Payroll Procedures Manual Section H – Deductions
- See Article 3 – Union Security, page 40 of: SEIU 1000 – State of California Bargaining Agreement
What is CCHCS?
How do I obtain Direct Deposit?
This program allows for the automatic deposit of your paycheck in the financial institution of your choice, which means you don’t have to rush to get to the bank before it closes, you don’t have to wait in long lines at your bank or ATM, and you don’t even have to be in town on payday.
Why is there a waiting period before I can use vacation time?
You should check with your personnel specialist because classification and applicable MOUs may vary, but in Bargaining Units 1, 3, 4, 11, 14, 15, 17, 20, and 21, for example: Employees shall not be entitled to a vacation leave credit for the first six (6) months of service. On the first day of the monthly pay period following completion of six (6) qualifying monthly pay periods of continuous service, all full-time employees shall receive a one-time vacation bonus of forty-two (42) vacation credits. Less than full-time employees shall be allowed, on a pro rata basis, the fractional part of the bonus vacation credit. Thereafter, for each additional qualifying monthly pay period, full-time employees shall be allowed credit for vacation with pay on the first day of the month as follows.
- 7 months to 3 years: 7 hours per month
- 37 months to 10 years: 10 hours per month
- 121 months to 15 years: 12 hours per month
- 181 months to 20 years: 13 hours per month
- 241 months and over: 14 hours per month